Dear Prospective Ridgeback Owner
Thank you for your interest in adopting a Rhodesian Ridgeback Dog through the Ridgeback Rescue of the U.S. rescue/placement services. We request an adoption fee for each dog, depending on the age and condition of the dog. Of course, at all times, donations are gratefully and gladly accepted.
The Ridgebacks that become available for adoption are dogs that are referred to our Rescue if, for any reason, they are homeless. Usually, they range from 2 to 6 years of age. We get the occasional "senior citizen" who is desperate for a loving retirement home. Puppies are rarely available, but do, from time to time come into our custody. Expenses for the average dog are over $400; however, adoption fees are assigned on an individual basis based on a dog's age and/or general health.
When a Ridgeback is released to us, it is taken to a veterinarian for a thorough medical check up and vetted accordingly. Vaccinations are all brought up to date. The RR's temperament is evaluated and we attempt to learn any past history on the dog. The Ridgebacks are then placed in experienced foster homes, while they wait for their forever homes to come find them. All ridgebacks in our placement program are neutered or spayed BEFORE being released to their new homes......NO EXCEPTIONS.
Many times Ridgebacks in your immediate area are just not readily available for adoption. Your wait for the right Ridgeback may be longer than you hoped. Please be patient with our Rescue program. Our Ridgeback Placement Service strives to bring together Ridgebacks and families in the same geographical area in order to keep transportation costs to a minimum. However, if you are willing to travel to adopt a dog from another area, you could find a Ridgeback in your home sooner than you think. You will, however, have to work with your closest local or State Ridgeback Rescue Volunteer to obtain a dog from a different area.
Our dogs are not placed on a first come, first served basis. We take great care to see that the correct dog is placed into the correct home. We take into account the wants and needs of the prospective adoptive home and the temperament and needs of the dog.
We are looking for permanent, loving homes where the Ridgeback will receive top quality care. These dogs need a special place where they will be appreciated as a companion dog and part of the family, BUT.....A RIDGEBACK IS NOT THE BREED FOR EVERYONE. Before you decide to acquire a Ridgeback, we recommend that you acquaint yourself with this elegant and extremely intelligent breed.
There are books that we recommend and articles available here on this website we suggest you read and think about.
ADOPTION APPLICATION REVIEW AND APPROVAL PROCESS
All adoption requests must be made in writing, via the RRUS Adoption Application submitted via the RRUS web site. In the event an interested party does not have computer/internet access, an Adoption Application can be completed and returned to the Secretary via US Mail.
Upon receipt of the completed Adoption Application, a RRUS volunteer screener will contact the applicant by phone interview to discuss the details of the application and the RRUS adoption approval process.
Overview of the steps involved in the application and approval process is as follows:
1. Applicant fills out and submits Adoption Application.
2. Our volunteer application coordinator reviews your application and contacts you if necessary.
3. You are contacted by the volunteer screener to discuss your application.
4. The volunteer screener will conduct reference checks of vet and other references you provided.
5. A home check is scheduled and conducted at your home. ALL FAMILY MEMBERS AND PETS MUST BE PRESENT.
6. If approved, you are placed on the RRUS Approved Adopters list which is available to all RRUS foster homes and you will be notified of approval by our Application Coordinator.
7. Foster homes review approved applicants and contact those who they feel may be a good fit for their respective foster dog. At no time do we give foster home contact information directly to any applicant (approved or not). Please be patient and know that you will be contacted when the right dog is available for your home
8. IT MAY BE REQUIRED FOR YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY (PETS INCLUDED) TO MEET THE DOG YOU ARE CONSIDERING ADOPTING. THIS MAY REQUIRE TRAVELING ACROSS STATE(S) TO DO SO. If you are not willing to do so, please indicate on your application. We do not transport by car or air any dog that has not had a successful ‘meet and greet’ with the potential adopting family.
PLEASE NOTE: If your application is approved you will be placed on our list of RRUS approved applicants which is available to all RRUS foster homes. The foster home will review approved applicants and contact those who they feel may be a good fit for their respective foster dog. At no time do we give foster home contact information directly to any applicant (approved or not). Please be patient and know that you will be contacted when the right dog is available for your home.
Dog locations - you can indicate in your application how far you may be willing to travel to meet a dog. It is required for you and your entire family (pets included) to meet the dog you are considering adopting. This may require traveling across state(s) to do so. If you are not willing to do so, please indicate so on your application. In general we do not tranport by car or air any dog that has not had a successful meet and greet with the potential adopting family.